The foundation stone of the cathedral was laid in 1173 and the complete cathedral was finally consecrated in 1247 with the patrons being John the Baptist and Nicholas. Immediately thereafter, the large vestibule “Paradise” was added to the northern side of the cathedral facing the city. In 1266 the cathedral began to be expanded on the east side. A gothic cathedral choir was then added and the aisles of the church were raised to a higher level. The clerestory walls were then torn out and the columns were removed. From these changes, the Romanesque basilica became an enormous, brilliant hall-church with the continued addition of side-chapels throughout the course of time. A simple sandstone altar, raised by a mere single step, supports the “Triumphkreuz” (Triumph Crucifix).