The Meldorf cathedral, officially known as the St.Johannes Church, is the largest and most significant church on the west coast of Schleswig-Holstein. The first cathedral building was constructed in the 9th century, however, the still remaining gothic structure dates back to the later half of the 13th century. The arched three-nave basilica dominates the city of Meldorf with its transept and 59 meter high tower. The inside of the cathedral is full of art and treasures to admire, including the bronze baptismal font from 1300, or the “Passionsaltar” (altarpiece) from 1520. The choir academy of the Schleswig-Holstein Musik Festival is a regular concert guest in Meldorf. The church offers an intimate atmosphere for the various a-cappella formations and baroque ensembles.