Lübeck / Villa Brahms
The Villa Brahms is only a few minutes walk from the castle gate of Lübeck. The country house, built around 1800 by the famous architect Christian Frederik Hansen, is the former headquarters of the Musikhochschule Lübeck. Built as the summer house of a Lübeck merchant, it is one of the outstanding examples of North German-Danish classicism. With its historical furnishings, the country house reflects the stately lifestyle of the early 19th century. In 1886, Senator Johann Hermann Eschenburg acquired the villa, which gave its name to the house and park until 2017. After a fire in September 1998, the villa was renovated and reopened in the summer of 2002. Since then it has housed the Brahms Institute belonging to the Lübeck University of Music. With its stylish ballroom, Villa Brahms offers a splendid setting for concerts, theme evenings, lectures and presentations. In the Gartensaal, which is also historic and used as a museum room, the life and work of Johannes Brahms are illustrated in changing exhibitions. In 2019 the SHMF will be a guest at Villa Brahms for the first time.